Showing 1032 results

People & Organisations
GB-2014-WSA-13304 · Person · 1919-1944

O'Sullivan, Cornelius Dion, son of Curtis Dion O'Sullivan (qv); b. 27 Apr. 1919; adm. May 1935 (A); left July 1935; Univ. of California; Lieut. USN (submarines); m. 12 May 1942 Katharine, d. of John Black of San Francisco; lost on active service in US submarine Triton (Pacific) 15 Mar 1944.

Cornelius Dion “Sully” O’Sullivan was born at San Francisco, California on the 27th of April 1919 the elder son of Colonel Curtis Dion O’Sullivan OW, United States Army, later Adjutant General of the State of California, and Helen (nee Hooper) O’Sullivan of 2717, Hearst Avenue, San Francisco. He was educated at Westminster School where he was up Ashburnham from May to July 1935. He was admitted to US Naval Academy as a Midshipman Second Class on the 17th of June 1938.
He attended the University of California, Berkeley on a Lexington Scholarship in the Class of 1942, where he rowed for the University and was later appointed as Captain of Rowing. He was a member of the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity and was a member of the orchestra.
His class had been due to graduate in February 1942 but instead graduated on the 19th of December 1941, due to the United States declaration of war on Japan on the 7th of December. He was promoted to Midshipman First Class in 1941and to Ensign on the 19th of December 1941. He was posted to the coastal and harbour defence submarine R-20 on the 31st of May 1942.
He was married at the United States Naval Academy Chapel, Annapolis on the 19th of May 1942 to Kathryn (nee Black) of San Francisco.
He was later promoted to Lieutenant, Junior Grade and was posted to the submarine USS Triton as 2nd Navigator.
The USS Triton (SS-201), under the command of Lieutenant Commander George Kenneth Mackenzie Jr. USN, set sail from Brisbane, Australia on the 16th of February 1943 for what was to be her sixth patrol. She was to operate against enemy shipping in the area between Rabaul, the Shortlands Basin.
On the 6th of March the USS Triton attacked a Japanese convoy consisting of five merchant vessels escorted by a destroyer. During the attack she sank the cargo ship Kiriha Maru and damaged one other ship. Two nights later she attacked another enemy convoy and claimed that five of the eight torpedoes she had fired scored hits. She was unable to confirm this due to gunfire from the escorting destroyers which forced her to submerge.
On the 11th of March the USS Triton reported that she was stalking two convoys, each made up of five or more ships. She contacted the submarine USS Trigger (SS-237) which was operating in an adjacent area. She was ordered to remain to the south of the equator and to continue her pursuit. Two days later she received a warning from her base that three enemy destroyers were in the area and that they were either looking for convoys to attack or were hunting American submarines.
On the 15th of March 1943, USS Triton was off the Admiralty Islands to the north of New Guinea when she reported that she had attacked an enemy convoy and that she was under a depth charge attack by three Japanese destroyers. Nothing further was heard from the submarine, but post war Japanese records indicate that they had sunk a submarine that day in an area slightly to the north west of the USS Triton’s last reported position. One of the Japanese crews reported observing an oil slick, debris and items carrying American markings. The entire crew was lost in the attack. USS Trigger had also attacked the convoy and came under depth charge attack which eventually stopped. They reported afterwards that they heard continued depth charging some distance away which lasted about an hour.
The University of California wrote of him: - “Sully began college life at the University of California and has had little trouble standing at the top of the class. Sully climaxed four years of crew by becoming the Academy's No. 1 oarsman and captain. His unruly hair has been a problem, but he manages to divert attention with his contagious smile.”
He is commemorated on the Tablets of the Missing at Manila American Cemetery.

GB-2014-WSA-12972 · Person · 1901-1945

Newman, John Windrush, son of Frederick John Newman, of the Temple, barrister-at-law, by Margaret Levonia, daughter of William Stewart Mackenzie, of Killiecrankie, Perthshire: b. Oct. 23, 1901; adm. Sept. 23, 1915 (A); left March 1918; served in the R.A.F. in Great War I; in the employment of Harrisons and Crosfield, East India Merchants, Quilon, South India; Lieut. Royal Army Ordnance Corps Dec. 21, 1939; Major; served in France to the evacuation of Dunkirk, and in Egypt and Syria; mentioned in despatches (France and Flanders) L.G. Dec. 20, 1940; m. Sept. 1, 1941, Ethel Joan, daughter of Capt. James Mould, D.S.O., M.C., of Dudley, Worcestershire; d. while awaiting demobilisation July 23, 1945.

John Windrush Newman was born in London on the 23rd of October 1900 the son of Frederick John Newman KC, a merchant and barrister at law, and Margaret Levonia (nee Mackenzie) Newman of The Bungalow, Harlow in Essex. He was christened at St Andrew’s Church, Hammersmith on the 27th of July 1902. He was educated at Westminster School where he was up Ashburnham from the 23rd of September 1915 to March 1918.
On leaving school he enlisted in the Royal Air Force at a Cadet Distribution Depot on the 2nd of May 1918. On leaving the Royal Air Force he joined the firm of Harrisons & Crosfield, East India Merchants of Quilon in South India. He became a company director and lived at 1, Harcourt Buildings, Temple in London and later at 2, Temple Gardens, in London. He was granted a Patent (No. 349,617) on the 1st of March 1930 for “Improvements in the signs and the like”.
He gained a Royal Aero Club Certificate (No. 18075) at Brooklands Flying Club on the 6th of May 1936 while flying a Tiger Moth aircraft.
Following the outbreak of war he was mobilised and was appointed as a Lieutenant in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps on the 21st of December 1939. He served during the Battle of France in 1940 from where he was evacuated from Dunkirk. He also served in Egypt and Syria during his service.
He was married at Westminster on the 1st of September 1941 to Ethel Joan (nee Mould) of Kensington.
On the 22nd of July 1945, John Newman asked his commanding officer, Major Wilfred Sinclair, if he could borrow a Sten gun from the armoury. He was last seen on the following day by Warrant Officer Fenly Curtis, walking along a footpath towards Sileby, Leicestershire. He did not return to to his barracks and when his room was searched his suitcase was found to have been packed as he was due to be demobilised a short time later. Also found were three letters, one of which was addressed to Major Sinclair. A search party was formed which searched the area until 4am but returned without finding him. His body was later found in a field at Sileby with the Sten gun next to it and with two empty cartridges on the ground beside him.
An iquiry into his death was convened at Loughborough where the Coroner called several witnesses who testified that John Newman had been suffering from deafness which had led to him suffering from poor mental health for some time. The Coroner recorded a vedict of: - “Death from a self inflicted gunshot wound while the balance of his mind was disturbed.”
He was Mentioned in Despatches.
He is commemorated at Mortlake Crematorium, Panel 9.

GB-2014-WSA-12462 · Person · 1904-1941

Montefiore, Langton, brother of Leslie Montefiore (q.v.); b. April 6, 1904; adm. Sept. 26 1918 (A); left Easter 1922; admitted a member of the London Stock Exchange 1927; 2nd Lieut. R.A.S.C. March 30, 1940; Capt.; m. June 2, 1927, Millicent, daughter of S. Lazarus, of St. Marylebone; killed on active service in Greece 27 April 1941.

Langton Montefiore was born at Chartridge, Buckinghamshire on the 6th of April 1904 the second son of Harry John Montefiore, a stockbroker and member of the London Stock Exchange, and Harriet (nee Montefiore) Montefiore of Chartridge Grange, near Chesham, later of “Fingest”, near Henley-on-Thames in Oxfordshire.
He was educated at Westminster School where he was up Ashburnham from the 26th of September 1918 and Easter 1922. He was a member of the Debating Society in 1921. He was a member of the Officer Training Corps and was promoted to Corporal in September 1921. On leaving school he went to work as a stockbroker and was admitted as a Member of the London Stock Exchange in 1927. He was married at Marylebone on the 2nd of June 1927 to Millicent (nee Lazarus) and they lived at 80, Eaton Place in London and at “Valley Holme”, Horsted Keynes in Sussex. They had a son, born on the 6th of May 1928. Following the outbreak of war he was appointed as a Deputy Area Officer for Air Raid Precautions. He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Army Service Corps on the 30th of March 1940.
At 7pm on the 24th of April 1941, a convoy of trucks of the 308th Reserve Motor Transport Company, Royal Army Service Corps left Argos, Greece to head for Kalamata where they were to be evacuated to Egypt following the collapse of the Allied resistance to the German invasion of Greece. Driver T/199458 F.G. Lee reported that Major James Garrard Black, 2nd Lieutenant J.M. Carroll Lieutenant Mansfield, Langton Montefiore and about 100 men were among those who remained at Argos from where they made their way to the beaches in Nauplia Bay to await evacuation to Crete. They boarded the 11, 636 ton passenger liner SS Slamat, under the command of Master Tjalling Luidinga, on the night of the 26th/27th of April and set sail at 4.15am on the 27th of April. SS Slamat sailed south as part of a convoy and was in the Argolic Gulf when the convoy was attacked firstly by Messerschmitt Bf109 fighters and then by Junkers 87, Junkers 88 and Dornier 17 bombers at 7.15am. During the attack SS Slamat was struck between the bridge and the forward funnel by a 550lb bomb and was set on fire. As she listed to starboard, she was hit by a second bomb and the order was given to abandon the ship. With many of life boats and life rafts having been destroyed in the bombing, most of the survivors swam clear of the sinking ship with two overcrowded life boats capsizing. Some of the survivors were machine gunned in the water by enemy fighters. The destroyer HMS Diamond began taking survivors on board but was forced to stop and speed away when she too came under attack from enemy aircraft. HMS Diamond returned at 8.15am to rescue more survivors and at 9.16am the destroyer HMS Wryneck was ordered to join her in the rescue of the men in the water. At 9.25am HMS Diamond reported that she had picked up most of the survivors and was heading for Souda Bay but, when HMS Wryneck joined HMS Diamond at 11am both of the destroyers returned to SS Slamat where they found two more lifeboats and rescued their occupants. With SS Slamat on fire from stem to stern, she was scuttled by HMS Diamond with a single torpedo before the destroyer left the area with around 600 survivors on board. It is believed that Langton Montefiore was among those who were rescued from the water by the two destroyers.
At 1.15pm, a formation of Junkers 87 “Stuka” dive bombers attacked the two destroyers from out of the sun,with two bombs landing on HMS Diamond destroying her lifeboats and she sank eight minutes later. HMS Wryneck was hit by three bombs and sank ten to fifteen minutes later.
About 1,000 men were lost in the bombing of the three ships with only eight from the five hundred evacuees on board SS Slamat surviving the sinkings.
He is commemorated on the Athens Memorial Face 8.

GB-2014-WSA-18534 · Person · 1916-1943

Wood, Richard Humphrey Vellacott, son of Richard Benjamin Wood, architect, of Ealing, and Eleanor Duidge, d. of Humphrey Vellacott of Upminster, Essex; b. 26 June 1916; adm. May 1930 (A); left July 1933; Wadham Coll. Oxf., matric. 1934; taught English in Prague and worked for Brit. Council in Palermo; Intell. Corps in WW2 (Lieut.); killed in action on special duty (Med.) Sept. 1943.

Richard Humphrey Vellacott “Pat” Wood was born in Middlesex on the 26th of June 1916 the only son of Richard Benjamin Wood, an architect, and Eleanor Doidge (nee Vellacott) Wood of 4, Charlton Gardens, Ealing in Middlesex, later of Creech St Michael in Somerset. He was christened at St John’s Church, Ealing on the 12th of October 1916. He was educated at Westminster School where he was up Ashburnham from May 1930 to July 1933. He matriculated for Wadham College, Oxford in 1934 where he was awarded a BA. On leaving university he taught English in Prague. He worked for the British Council at Palermo and was later appointed as a Doctor of the Institute of Palermo. Following Italy’s entry into the war in June 1940 he returned to England where he attended an Officer Cadet Training Unit before being commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Intelligence Corps on the 7th of June 1941.
In September 1943 he was specially selected for an operation in Italy during which he went missing and was later reported to have lost his life.
He is commemorated on the Cassino Memorial Panel 23.

GB-2014-WSA-17225 · Person · 1916-1942

Tyson, Hampson John Philip, son of Eric James Tyson (qv); b. 23 Sept. 1916; adm. Sept. 1929 (A); left July 1934; RAFVR 1942 (FO); killed in action 19 Dec. 1942.

Hampson John Phillip Tyson was born at Balham, South London on the 23rd of September 1916 the son of Major Eric James Tyson DSO MC OW, Royal Flying Corps, and Cora Florence Gladys (nee Davies) Tyson of 4, Balham Park Road, Balham, later of “Rosemary”, Ashford Avenue, Worthing in Sussex. He was christened at St Mary’s Church, Balham on the 10th of December 1916. He was educated at Westminster School where he was up Ashburnham from September 1929 to July 1931. He joined the Metropolitan Police as Police Constable 125385 on the 30th of March 1937 where he served in B Division (Westminster) and later left the police service to join the armed forces. He was married in Dorset in 1942 to Desiree Yvonne (nee Zunino) and they lived at “Stillwaters”, Chaddesley Green, Canford Cliffs, Bournemouth in Hampshire. They had a child.
He enlisted in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve where he trained as a pilot and rose to the rank of temporary Flight Sergeant before being commissioned as a Pilot Officer on the 4th of January 1942. He was promoted to Flying Officer on the 1st of October 1942.
At 7.39am on the 19th of December 1942, Hampson Tyson and Pilot Officer O’Neill were briefed for a flight to the satellite airfield at Souk-el-Arba. They took off at 8.20am. At 4.45pm Pilot Officer O’Neill arrived back at Bone by road and reported that after landing at Souk-el-Arba that morning he was taxiing his aircraft when the oleo of his undercarriage had buckled due to the soft ground and both the propeller and the mainplane of his aircraft had been damaged.
Hampson Tyson had taken off from Souk-el-Arba at 12.30pm in Hurricane Mk IIC HV697 for the return flight to Bone in poor weather conditions. By 5.30pm that afternoon he had still not arrived and it was decided that in view of the weather and of the gathering darkness that a search and rescue flight would not be undertaken that night. The wreckage of his aircraft and his body was found the next day near Morriss. The cause of the crash is not known.
His father, Major Eric James Tyson DSO MC OW, 5 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps, died of wounds on the 12th of March 1918.
He is buried at Bone War Cemetery Collective Grave VIII G 1-13.

GB-2014-WSA-16688 · Person · 1907-1941

Teed, Denis Theodore, brother of Geoffrey Wilmot Teed (qv); b. 12 May 1907; adm. Jan. 1921 (A); left July 1923; an incorporated accountant; Cpl RAF, killed on active service 24 Feb. 1941 in a workshop accident in Singapore.

Denis Theodore Teed was born at Camberwell, Surrey on the 12th of May 1907 the second son of Harry Williamson Teed, a gas examiner for the London County Council, and Ethel Sinclair (nee Rees) Teed of 158, Camberwell Grove, Camberwell, later of 34, Brodrick Road, Balham in London.
He was educated at Westminster School where he was up Ashburnham from January 1921 to July 1923. On leaving school he became an incorporated accountant.
He enlisted in the Royal Air Force where he rose to the rank of Corporal and was posted to Singapore. He was serving at RAF Seletar when he was killed by an electric shock in an accident at a workshop.
He is buried at Kranji War Cemetery Plot 37, Row D, Grave 3.

GB-2014-WSA-16690 · Person · 1911-1996

Teed, John Percival, brother of Geoffrey Wilmot Teed (qv); b. 18 Jan. 1911; adm. Sept. 1924 (A); left July 1927; an actor 1928-39; RA 1941-7 (Capt.), ADC to Governor of United Provinces, India, 1944-6; a painter 1946-9; an antique dealer 1949-76; retd 1976; d. 7 Aug. 1996.

GB-2014-WSA-16469 · Person · 1918-1944

Stuttaford, Michael Charles, son of Charles Stuttaford and his second wife Nora Porter; half­ brother of Cyril Stuttaford (qv); b. 29 Sept. 1918; adm. Sept. 1932 (A); left July 1937; Merton Coll. Oxf., matric. 1937 (postmaster); Bombardier RA; d. 6 June 1944 in Palembang p.o.w. camp, Sumatra.

Michael Charles Stuttaford was born at Hampstead, London on the 29th of September 1918 the elder son of Charles Stuttaford, a gentleman, and his second wife, Nora Kathleen (nee Porter) Stuttaford of 34, Belsize Park Gardens, Hampstead. He was christened at All Saints Church, Knightsbridge on the 21st of November 1918. He was educated at Westminster School where he was up Ashburnham from September 1932 to July 1937 where he won the Marshall Memorial Prize (Class VI) in 1935 and was a member of the Fencing team in 1936. He matriculated for Merton College, Oxford on a Postmastership in 1937 from where he where he graduated with a BA. Has Captain of the Oxford University Fencing Team in 1940.
He enlisted as a Gunner in the Royal Artillery and was rose to the rank of Bombardier.
He was captured by the Japanese at Tasikmalaya, Java on the 8th of March 1942 following the surrender of the Allied forces there.
He died at Palembang in Sumatra.
He is commemorated on the war memorial at Merton College, Oxford.
He is buried at Jakarta War Cemetery Plot 4, Row A, Grave 13.

GB-2014-WSA-16404 · Person · 1912-2004

Strain, Malcolm Kenneth, brother of John Loudon Strain (qv); b. 30 Dec. 1912; adm. May 1927 (A); left Apr. 1930; RASC 1939-45, attd Roy. Signals Egypt and Italy; ICI Plastics Divn, later P & O Shipping Co.; retd 1978; m. 8 Jan. 1953 Pamela Jane Steel, teacher, d. of Francis George Steel, Lloyd's insurance agent; d. Feb. 2004.

GB-2014-WSA-16406 · Person · 1904-1989

Strain, William Stewart, brother of John Loudon Strain (qv); b. 15 Aug. 1904; adm. Sept. 1917 (A), non-res. KS 1918; left July 1923; Trin. Coll. Camb., matric. 1923, BA 1926, MA 1949; asst master Canford Sch. 1927, housemaster 1938-47; retd 1953; d. 19 Nov. 1989.