Showing 21079 results

People & Organisations

Williams, John, 1582-1650

  • GB-2014-WSA-20819
  • Person
  • 1582-1650

Dean of Westminster (also Bishop of Lincoln and Archbishop of York). Second son of Edmund Williams, Conway, Caernarvonshire, and Mary, dau. of Owen Wynn, Eglwsfach, Cardiganshire ; b. 25 Mar 1581/2 ; educ. Ruthin Sch. and St.John’s Coll.Cambridge, matr.sizar Easter 1598 ; BA 1601/2 ; MA 1605 (incorp. Oxford 1608) ; BD 1613 ; DD 1616 ; Junior Proctor 1610, Senior Proctor 1611 ; Fellow, St.John’s Coll.Cambridge 14 Apr 1603 ; ordained priest 22 Dec 1605 (London) ; incumbent, Honington, Suffolk 17 Oct 1605-12 ; Archdeacon of Cardigan 1610 ; incumbent, Grafton Underwood, Northants 1612 ; Chaplain to Lord Ellesmere, Lord Chancellor c.1612-7 ; Prebendary of Hereford Jul 1612 ; Prebendary of Lincoln 10 Oct 1613, Precentor 29 Dec 1613 – resignation 1641, also Canon Residentiary Sep 1614-41; Rector of Walgrave, Northants 1614 ; Prebendary of Peterborough Jun 1616 – resignation 1621 ; Chaplain in Ordinary to James I ; Dean of Salisbury Sep 1619-20 ; Dean of Westminster 10 Jul 1620-42 ; Lord Keeper of the Great Seal 15 Jun 1621- Oct 1625 ; Privy Councillor 18 Jun 1621, dismissal Feb 1631/2 ; Bishop of Lincoln 3 Aug 1621-41 ; suspended from benefices and offices and imprisoned in Tower of London Jul 1637 ; released by order of House of Lords 16 Nov 1640 ; Archbishop of York from Dec 1641 ; again imprisoned in Tower of London Jan-May 1642 ; resident on his estates and with friends in North Wales from Oct 1642 ; d.unm. 25 Mar 1649/50. ODNB.
In 1623, while Dean of Westminster, he purchased two fee farm rents of £14 and £13 6s 8d respectively, issuing respectively out of the manors of Sudbury and of Great Stanmore, both in Middlesex. By a deed dated 26 Apr 1624 he declared that the Dean and Chapter of Westminster should hold these rents in trust for four scholars of his own foundation, two of whom should be natives of Wales and two natives of the diocese of Lincoln, “to be educated and maintained in the Grammar School of St.Peter’s College in Westminster, and there to have their free education until they shall be from thence elected and transplanted into St.John’s College, Cambridge”. Amongst other provisions he ordered that each of the four scholars should be paid £5 annually “towards their diet and maintenance”, and 20s. should be allowed each scholar for “a gown of cloth which shall be purple in colour”.
By letters patent dated 30 Dec 1623, having previously given certain benefices and lands for their support, he founded two fellowships and four scholarships in St.John’s College, Cambridge, and ordained that the four scholars of the foundation should be chosen from the scholars of his foundation at Westminster, two to be natives of Wales and two of the diocese of Lincoln, or for want of boys so qualified boys born within the liberties of Westminster.
Adequate funds were not, however, provided to carry out the scheme, and although four boys, known first as Lord’s Scholars and afterwards as Bishop’s Boys, were annually elected at the School, few of them were afterwards admitted to the scholarships at St.John’s College.
Investigation was made into the trust in the Court of Exchequer, and in 1836 the Master entrusted with the inquiry found that the original deed of foundation, if ever executed, was lost or not to be discovered, but that certain of its intended provisions were recited in a deed conveying a rent charge for the benefit of the foundation. A subsequent order of the Court directed the election of four scholars from boys born in Wales or in the diocese of Lincoln alternately, and, in default of these, from Westminster. The boys were to be provided with their gowns, and to receive the rest of their dividends in books.
Dr Liddell, when Head Master, abolished the purple gowns and agreed to remit the tuition and entrance fees of the Bishop’s Boys on condition that the money payable to each boy was added yearly to the School’s funds. In 1872 the Governors of the School repealed the trusts relating to this benefaction by statute, and the endowment was then consolidated with the School Exhibition Fund, and commemorated with three exhibitions known as the Bishop Williams exhibitions.
By a statute made by the Cambridge University Commissioners, dated 22 May 1857, all preferences in favour of particular schools in the election to scholarships at St.John’s College were abolished in cases where such right to preference had not been exercised within the three years prior to the passing of the Cambridge University Act 1856

Triplett, Thomas 1602-1670

  • GB-2014-WSA-20818
  • Person
  • 1602-1670

Triplett, Thomas; Son of Robert Triplett, City of London, stationer, and Margery Cartwright ; bapt.St.Nicholas Cole Abbey, City of London 6 Apr 1602 ; educ. St.Paul’s Sch. and Christ Church, Oxford, matr. 16 Mar 1620/1, aged 18 ; BA 1622 ; MA 1625 ; DD 1661 ; ordained ; Vicar of Woodhorn, Northumberland 1630 ; Rector of Whitburn, co.Durham 1631 ; Vicar of Washington, co.Durham 10 Apr 1640 – ejected 10 Sep 1644, reinstated 1660 -2 ; Prebendary of York from 2 Aug 1641 ; Prebendary of Salisbury Oct 1645 (but not installed until 17 Sep 1660) – resignation Mar 1662 ; Prebendary of Durham 20 Mar 1648/9 (but not installed until 2 Nov 1660) – resignation Mar 1662 ; Prebendary of Westminster from 1662, Sub-Dean ; d. unm. 18 Jul 1670. Buried South Cloister, Westminster Abbey. ODNB.
By an indenture dated 21 Dec 1668 he granted certain lands at Haughley, Suffolk, to trustees, upon trust, after the death of his sister Katherine Warne and her children, to pay out of the income £20 annually to the Dean, Sub-Dean and two senior Prebendaries of Westminster “in trust for foure of the worthy Schollers of the Free Schoole of Westminster that want means to subsist att the University”. The benefaction subsequently provided two or more exhibitions annually, tenable for three years at any college at Oxford or Cambridge, of an annual value not exceeding £50, in addition to gratuities awarded on their leaving to such boys as the trustees considered deserving.
The endowment is currently held in the School’s Rev.Dr.Triplett’s Foundation, under a scheme of 21 Mar 1857, as varied by schemes of 14 Mar 1873, 10 Aug 1910, 19 Sep 1954, 16 Apr 1959 and 8 Nov 1959.

Trench, Richard Chenevix, 1807-1886

  • GB-2014-WSA-20817
  • Person

Trench, Richard Chenevix; Dean of Westminster (afterwards Archbishop of Dublin). Third son of Richard Trench, Dublin, Ireland, barrister at law, and Melesina, dau. of Philip Chenevix ; b. 5 Sep 1807 ; educ. Harrow Sch. and Trinity Coll.Cambridge ; BA 1829 ; MA 1833 ; BD 1850 ; ordained deacon 7 Oct 1832 (Norwich), priest 5 Jul 1835 ; successively Curate, Hadleigh, Suffolk, St.Peter’s, Colchester, Essex and Alverstoke, Hampshire ; Rector of Itchenstoke, Hampshire 1844-56 ; Professor of Divinity, King’s Coll.London 1847-56 ; Dean of Westminster 14 Oct 1856 – Dec 1863 ; consecrated Archbishop of Dublin 1 Jan 1864, resigning on account of failing health Nov 1884 ; author, works on divinity, philology, history and literature, as well as volumes of verse ; m. 31 May 1832 his cousin Frances Mary, dau. of Francis Trench, Sopwell Hall, co.Tipperary, Ireland ; d. 26 Mar 1886. Buried in nave, Westminster Abbey. ODNB.
From 1857 to 1863, while Dean of Westminster, he made an annual gift of ten guineas in books as prizes for knowledge of the Greek Testament, and this was continued by his successors as Dean.

Thomas, John, 1712-1793

  • GB-2014-WSA-20816
  • Person
  • 1712-1793

Thomas, John; Bishop of Rochester and Dean of Westminster. Son of Rev.John Thomas, Vicar of Brampton, Cumberland, and Minor Canon of Carlisle, and Ann, dau. of Richard Kelsick, Whitehaven, Cumberland, ship’s captain ; bapt. 7 Oct 1712 ; educ. Carlisle GS and Queen’s Coll.Oxford, matr. 17 Dec 1730 ; BCL 1741 ; DCL 1742 ; ordained deacon 27 Mar 1736/7, priest 25 Sep 1737 ; tutor to son of Sir William Clayton, Bart., MP ; Rector of Bletchingley, Surrey 27 Jan 1737/8 – 1774 ; Chaplain in Ordinary to George II 17 Jan.1748/9 and to George III 1760 ; Prebendary of Westminster 23 Apr 1754 – Jul 1768, Sub-Dean 1758 ; Sub-Almoner 28 Dec 1761 ; Vicar of St.Bride’s, Fleet Street, London 7 Jan 1766-9 ; Dean of Westminster from 19 Jul 1768 ; consecrated Bishop of Rochester 13 Nov 1774 ; m.1st, 19 Aug 1742 Anne, widow of Sir Charles Blackwell, Bart., and dau. of Sir William Clayton, Bart., MP ; m.2nd, 12 Jan.1775 Elizabeth, widow of Sir Joseph Yates Kt, Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, and dau. of Charles Baldwyn, Munslow, Shropshire ; d. 22 Aug 1793. ODNB.
In 1791 he invested £1000 Stock in the names of the Deans of Westminster and of Christ Church, Oxford, and the Head Master, in trust for the School. The fund was subsequently consolidated with the School Exhibition Fund, and the benefaction commemorated by four exhibitions known as Bishop Thomas exhibitions.

Stanley, Arthur Penrhyn, 1815-1881

  • GB-2014-WSA-20815
  • Person
  • 1815-1881

Stanley, Arthur Penrhyn; Dean of Westminster. Second son of Right Hon.Edward Stanley DD, Bishop of Norwich, and Catherine, dau. of Rev.Oswald Leycester, Rector of Stoke-upon-Terne, Shropshire ; b. 13 Dec 1815 ; educ. Rugby School ; Balliol Coll.Oxford, matr. 30 Nov 1833 ; Ireland Scholar and Newdigate Prize for English Verse 1837 ; 1st cl.Lit.Hum. 1837 ; BA 1837 ; Fellow, University Coll.Oxford Jul 1838, Tutor 1843 ; Chancellor’s Latin Essay Prize 1839, Chancellor’s English Essay Prize 1840, Ellerton Theological Essay Prize 1840 ; ordained deacon Dec 1839, priest 1843 ; Secretary to Oxford University Commission 1851-2 ; Canon of Canterbury Jul 1851 – Dec 1856 ; Canon of Christ Church, Oxford, and Regius Professor of Ecclesiastical History Dec 1856 – Jan 1864 ; Dean of Westminster from 9 Jan 1864 ; author, Life of Thomas Arnold DD, Head Master of Rugby, 1844, Sinai and Palestine in connection with their history, 1856, Lectures on the History of the Eastern Church, 1861, Lectures on the History of the Jewish Church, 3 vols, 1863-70, Historical Memorials of Westminster Abbey, 1870, and many other publications ; m. 22 Dec 1863 Lady Augusta Frederica Elizabeth Bruce, dau. of Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, Ambassador to the Sublime Porte, Gen. in the Army ; d. 18 Jul 1881. Buried Henry VII Chapel, Westminster Abbey. ODNB.
While Dean of Westminster he continued the Greek Testament Prize originated by Dean Trench (below), and in 1868, at his own expense, he restored School to its former proportions by removing the wall at the northern end where the Shell form was situated, at the same time making good the roof which had been damaged by fire in 1694.

Slade, Grace Annabella, 1769-1856

  • GB-2014-WSA-20814
  • Person
  • 1769-1856

Slade, Grace Annabella; Daughter of Richard Slade (adm.1721/2, qv) ; b. c.1769 ; d. unm. 13 Oct 1856.
To commemorate the education of her father Richard Slade and of her brothers Richard Slade and Samuel Slade at the School, she gave £1000 to fund an exhibition at Christ Church, Oxford, preference to be given, in the case of an equality of merit among the candidates, to a person educated at Westminster School. In addition, she gave, on 30 Mar 1846 £1000 to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, the interest on which was to be laid out in the purchase of books for prizes. By an order of the Chapter dated 21 Apr 1856, £10 of the income was to be applied to the purchase of prizes for a Latin essay or of Greek verses on a set subject, and the balance in the purchase of prizes to be given at the annual examinations.

Ireland, John, 1761-1842

  • GB-2014-WSA-20813
  • Person
  • 1761-1842

Ireland, John; Dean of Westminster. Son of Thomas Ireland, Ashburton, Devon, butcher, and Elizabeth --- ; b. 29 Sep 1761 ; educ. Ashburton GS ; Oriel Coll.Oxford, matr. 8 Dec 1779, bible clerk ; BA 1783 ; MA 1810 ; BD and DD 1810 ; MA Lambeth 1793 ; DD Lambeth 1803 ; ordained deacon 20 Jun 1784, priest 25 Sep 1785 (both Exeter) ; Curate, Kingsteignton, Devon 1784 ; tutor to son of Sir James Wright, Bart. ; Vicar of Croydon, Surrey 15 Jul 1793- Mar 1816 ; Vicar of Shoreham, Kent 27 Nov 1806 – Jun 1816 ; Chaplain to Charles Jenkinson, 1st Earl of Liverpool ; Canon of Westminster 14 Aug 1802-16, Sub-Dean 1806-16, Dean of Westminster from 1816 ; Rector of Islip, Oxfordshire 26 Mar 1816 – Oct 1835 ; m. 29 Jan 1794 Susannah, dau. of John Short, Bickham, Devon ; d. 2 Sep 1842. Buried South Transept, Westminster Abbey. ODNB.
In 1820 he gave £500 3 per cent Consols to the Dean of Christ Church, Oxford, the Master of Trinity College, Cambridge, and the Head Master of the School for the time being, the interest on which was to be applied for the purchase of books, which as “Dean’s Prizes” were to be given to encourage verse composition. The prizes were subsequently known as the Ireland Prizes. The endowment is now held in the School’s Ireland Fund (terms varied by schemes of 19 Apr 1965 and 8 Nov 1965).

Goodman, Gabriel, d. 1601

  • GB-2014-WSA-20812
  • Person
  • d. 1601

Goodman, Gabriel; Dean of Westminster. Second son of Edward Goodman, Ruthin, Denbighshire, mercer, and Cecily, dau. of Edward Thelwall, Plas-y-Ward, Llanynys, Denbighshire ; Jesus Coll., Cambridge, matr.sizar Mich.1546 ; BA 1550 ; Christ’s Coll.Cambridge ; Fellow 1552-4 ; MA 1553 ; migrated to St.John’s Coll.Cambridge ; DD 1564 ; ordained ; Chaplain to Sir William Cecil and tutor to his elder son (by 1554) ; Rector of South Luffenham, Rutland 1558 – Oct 1562 ; Rector of Waddesdon, Bucks., first portion, 1559, and second portion, 1569 ; Prebendary of St.Paul’s from 23 Oct 1559 ; Prebendary of Westminster 30 Jun 1560- Aug 1561, Dean of Westminster from 13 Aug 1561 (installed 23 Sep 1561) ; an Ecclesiastical Commissioner from 1562 ; benefactor to his native town of Ruthin, where he paid for the building of a new school house in 1574 and established an almshouse ; d. unm. 17 Jun 1601, aged 73. Buried St.Benedict’s Chapel, Westminster Abbey. ODNB.
While Prebendary of Chiswick in St.Paul’s Cathedral, by indenture dated 29 Jun 1570, he leased the manor house of Chiswick to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster as a place for the master and scholars and some of the chapter to retire to in case of pestilence or sickness. The lease was renewed from time to time, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, when they took over the estates of the Prebendaries of St.Paul’s, purchased the interest of the Dean and Chapter in the property. The purchase money was known as the Chiswick Fund, and subsequently reached the sum of £1160 Consols, the interest of which was used to pay for the medical attendance and care of the King’s Scholars. Dr Goodman endeavoured more than once to procure the royal assent to the statutes drawn up by Dr.Bill. He also tried to obtain the right for the School to the annual election of three scholars to Trinity College, Cambridge, instead of two every year and three every third year, an alteration which Dr.Whitgift when Master of Trinity obtained leave to make.
The endowment is now held in the School’s Chiswick Fund, under a governing document of 1864 (amended by scheme of 8 Nov.1965).

Fell, John, 1625-1686

  • GB-2014-WSA-20811
  • Person
  • 1625-1686

Fell, John; Bishop of Oxford and Dean of Christ Church, Oxford. Eldest son of Samuel Fell (qv) ; b. 23 Jun 1625 ; educ. Lord Williams’s School, Thame, and Christ Church, Oxford, Canoneer Student 25 May 1637 – expelled by the Parliamentary Visitors 15 May 1648 ; BA 1640 ; MA 1643 ; DD 1660 ; served as Ensign in Royalist garrison, Oxford ; ordained 1647 ; one of the group of clergy who regularly performed Church of England services in Oxford during the Commonwealth ; Canon of Christ Church 27 Jul 1660 – Nov 1660, Dean of Christ Church from 27 Nov 1660 ; Prebendary of Chichester 18 Aug 1660 – res Jan 1661/2 ; Vice-Chancellor, Oxford Univ. 1666-9 ; consecrated Bishop of Oxford 6 Feb 1675/6 ; Chaplain to Charles II ; raised the finance for new buildings at Christ Church, including Tom’s Tower designed by Sir Christopher Wren ; presented valuable type matrices to the University Press 1666 and established the first regular University type foundry 1667 ; author of biographies of Henry Hammond and of Thomas Fuller, and of editions of Suetonius and of Clement ; d.unm. 10 Jul 1686. ODNB.
In 1685 he provided £327 5s 6d out of a total of £527 5s 6d of the cost of purchase, jointly with Richard Hill (elected to Oxford 1640, qv), of certain fee farm rents. These were conveyed on trust to pay £20 to a reader of prayers in some parish church in the city of Oxford, and the residue to the Westminster Students of Christ Church.
According to E.G.W.Bill, Education at Christ Church Oxford 1660-1800, 1988, p.103 n.1, “The Fell and Hill Trust was established in 1685 for the benefit of two Westminster Students. The first appointments were not made until 1714 and the exhibitions were only worth £2-£3 a year”.

Cecil, William, 1st Baron Burghley, 1520-1598

  • GB-2014-WSA-20810
  • Person
  • 1520-1598

Cecil, William, 1st Baron Burghley; only son of Richard Cecil MP, Little Burghley, Northants, Yeoman of the Wardrobe to Henry VIII, and Jane, dau. of William Heckington, Bourne, Lincs. ; b. 18 Sep 1520 (or 1521) ; educ. at schools in Stamford and St.John’s Coll.Cambridge, adm. May 1535 ; MA 1564 (incorp. Oxford 1566) ; adm.Gray’s Inn 1541 ; MP unknown constituency 1542, Stamford 1547, Lincolnshire 1553, 1555, 1559, Northamptonshire 1563 ; Recorder of Boston from 14 May 1545, of Stamford by 1580 ; entered service of Protector Somerset 1547, becoming his secretary in 1548 ; Custos Brevium, Court of Common Pleas 6 May 1548 ; imprisoned in Tower of London Nov 1549 – Jan 1550 ; Secretary of State Sep 1550 – Jul 1553 ; Privy Councillor Sep 1550 ; knighted 11 Oct 1551 ; lived in retirement during reign of Mary I, except for a mission in 1554 to bring Cardinal Pole to England ; returned to favour on accession of Elizabeth I ; Secretary of State (reappointed) 17 Nov 1558 – Jul 1572 ; Chancellor, Cambridge Univ., from 1559 ; Master, Court of Wards, from Jan 1560/1 ; cr. Baron Burghley 25 Feb 1570/1 ; KG 1572 ; Lord High Treasurer from Jul 1572 ; High Steward of Westminster from 1561 ; m.1st, 8 Aug 1541 Mary, dau. of Peter Cheke, Esquire Bedell in Divinity, Cambridge Univ., , and sister of Sir John Cheke Kt, academic and courtier ; m.2nd, 21 Dec 1545 Mildred (see above), dau. of Sir Anthony Cooke KB MP, Gidea Hall, Essex ; d. 4 May 1598. ODNB.
By deed poll dated 10 Apr 1594 he granted two farm rents, of £10 and £3 6s 8d respectively, payable out of Finchstock and Fawler in the parish of Charlbury, Oxfordshire, to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, “in trust, to bestow the same in money, books, or otherwise, as necessity or occasion shall be, upon such or so many scholars that shall yearly be chosen or elected from or out of, the free grammar school of Westminster to either of the … Universities, in such sort, manner, or form, as the Dean of Westminster for the time being, and the two principal electors that shall come from Cambridge and Oxford, and the chief schoolmaster of the said free grammar school of Westminster for the time being, in their good discretions, shall think most meet and convenient, and to no other use intent or purpose”. The income was subsequently consolidated with the School Exhibition Fund, and the benefaction commemorated by an exhibition known as the Lord Burghley exhibition.

Results 1 to 10 of 21079