Grant's

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Grant's

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1749-

History

Grant's was opened as an independent boarding house by Mrs Margaret Grant, or Mother Grant I, in 1749, when keeping boarders was one of the few respectable occupations for middle-class women. The house continued under the Grants’ management until Mrs Dixon, the last of the family, sold the building to the School in 1868. As well as income from the sale of the house, Mrs Dixon also had a share of the profits of Dixon's antibilious pills, the world-famous 'pill to cure all ills'.

Many traditions survive at Westminster, but one that has been discontinued at Grant’s is the custom that saw new boarders ‘walk the mantelpiece’ in Hall. Lawrence Tanner, a pupil who kept a thorough diary of his time at Westminster, records his own experience of walking the mantelpiece here.

Grantites of particular interest include Lord John Russell (1792-1878), a Whig and Liberal Prime Minister and keen reformist; Charles Longley (1794-1868), Archbishop of Canterbury; Edgar Adrian (1899- 1977), winner of the Nobel Prize for Physiology; the actor John Gielgud (1904-2000) and Dominic Grieve MP (1956-).

Places

The location of Grant's changed several times before settling on the south side of Little Dean's Yard in a plain Georgian building constructed in 1789 by Robert Furze Brettingham.

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Boarding house.

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GB-2014-WSA-01869

Institution identifier

WS 2014

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003)

Status

Final

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Entry prepared by Felicity Crowe, Archives and Records Management Assistant, February 2020.

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

  • Latin

Sources

Westminster School Archive; Tanner, Lawrence, 'Westminster School: Its Buildings and Associations.'

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places