Showing 281 results

Catalogue Description
GB 2014 WS-05-CLA-55 · Item · 1849-1-11
Part of Westminster School's Archive and Collections

Has heard that the author of the epilogue was one Randolph OW (according to Lusus Alteri it was T. Littlehales). On Liddell's change of Latin grammar (see 16 1nd 34). 130 pupils in the school - 2 ushers for the Upper School, and none for the Lower (presided over by the Under Master - but there are only 8 boys in it). A rudimentary central heating pipe has been installed Up School. Only one boarding house in Dean's Yard now (Scott's), and two in Little Dean's Yard where Grant's and Morel's used to be. In College stoves have replaced fires - only used for sleeping, the boys being confined during the lock-up hours in a long room beneath the dormitory. Breakfast at 9, dinner at 2 (used to be 12) and supper at 8. In the Abbey the celebrant's reading desk and pulpit has been sited at the corner of Poets' Corner nearest to the cloisters, so that he can view the congregation both in the transept and in the choir (see 49). An idea had been put forward to unite Westminster and Harrow, using the site of the latter; the low-lying site of Westminster is most unhealthy - the slope towards the river is not enough to carry away the filth from the drains. Tothill Street (see 24) being improved to be a handsome road from Buckingham House to the Abbey.

Clavering, Henry Mordaunt, 1766-1850