Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
18th century -
The earliest years of Rigaud’s are unclear, but we know it began as an independent boarding house in the late 18th century, changing its name several times until it became Rigaud’s, after the Reverend Stephen Rigaud, a master at Westminster from 1846-1850, who later became Bishop of Antigua.
In 1821, when the house was named ‘Mother Best’s’, a boarder died from over-eating after a ‘broshier’, or an attempt to exhaust the supply of food in protest at its quality.
The current building was reconstructed in 1896 with a design by Sir Thomas Graham Jackson. it is located on the south side of Little Dean's Yard.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Entry created by Felicity Crowe, Archives and Records Management Assistant, February 2020.
Westminster School Archive, Tanner, Lawrence, 'Westminster School: Its Buildings and Associations'.