GB 2014 WS-02-HOU-04
- 1915-1988 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
3 ledgers and 3 boxes
Name of creator
The earliest years of Rigaud’s are unclear, but we know it began as an independent boarding house in the late 18th century, changing its name several times until it became Rigaud’s, after the Reverend Stephen Rigaud, a master at Westminster from 1846-1850, who later became Bishop of Antigua.
In 1821, when the house was named ‘Mother Best’s’, a boarder died from over-eating after a ‘broshier’, or an attempt to exhaust the supply of food in protest at its quality.
Rigaud's House derives its name from the Housemaster Rev. S. J. Rigaud (1846 - 1850). Like Grant's House, it can be traced back to Vaughan's House which occupied the site of the present building. Prior to this the House had been known as 'Clapham's', 'Best's', 'Stikemans's' and 'Benthall's', after other Dames and Housemasters. It remains a mystery as to how the name Rigaud's settled, after a Housemaster who was only there for four years before becoming Bishop of Antigua. Early members of the House include James Anthony Froude and Sir Edward Poynter.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This collection contains materials relating to Rigaud's House. It includes 2 House Ledgers which give details of events in Rigaud's House, such as sporting achievements of the House. It also contains administrational records of Rigaud's House including House lists, details of members of the House, notices given to the House and information on the academic development of pupils. As well as this there are ledgers which give details of sporting events, including comments on team members. Finally, this collection contains the Rigaud's House magazine, 'The Rigaudite Review' which later became known as 'The Major'. It also contains another magazine titled 'Rigaud's Reflections', which was only disseminated within the House, and was decorated with hand drawn illustrations and paintings.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
The material has been arranged into four sub-series; House Ledgers, Administration of Rigaud's House, Sport and Publications. Within the 'Publication' sub-series I have arranged the House magazines into chronological order.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Access to collection items is granted to bona-fide researchers, by prior appointment, subject to the overriding provisions of relevant legislation, including Data Protection.
Conditions governing reproduction
A reprographics service is available to researchers subject to the access restrictions outlined above. Copying will not be undertaken if there is any risk of damage to the item. Copies are supplied in accordance with Westminster School's Policy on Archive and Heritage Collections, and under provisions of any relevant copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce images of items in the custody of Westminster School must be sought from its Governing Body.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
This catalogue was prepared by Emma Down, student at UCL, at Westminster School Archive, April-May 2013.