Increasingly friends and acquaintances die, most recently George Byng, MP for Middlesex (OW) - well-meaning but not very judicious. Lane (Newton Charles), a remarkably stout lad in Grant's, knocked him down with an Ainsworth's dictionary whilst holding forth in the Sixth Form on the superiority of Mr Fox's politics. Westminster education is improving - one usher has been appointed solely to teach maths, and a Frenchman who is a Hebrew scholar has also been employed. Wonders how much exactly Lady Bath bequeathed to Pulteney (see 20).
Has heard that the author of the epilogue was one Randolph OW (according to Lusus Alteri it was T. Littlehales). On Liddell's change of Latin grammar (see 16 1nd 34). 130 pupils in the school - 2 ushers for the Upper School, and none for the Lower (presided over by the Under Master - but there are only 8 boys in it). A rudimentary central heating pipe has been installed Up School. Only one boarding house in Dean's Yard now (Scott's), and two in Little Dean's Yard where Grant's and Morel's used to be. In College stoves have replaced fires - only used for sleeping, the boys being confined during the lock-up hours in a long room beneath the dormitory. Breakfast at 9, dinner at 2 (used to be 12) and supper at 8. In the Abbey the celebrant's reading desk and pulpit has been sited at the corner of Poets' Corner nearest to the cloisters, so that he can view the congregation both in the transept and in the choir (see 49). An idea had been put forward to unite Westminster and Harrow, using the site of the latter; the low-lying site of Westminster is most unhealthy - the slope towards the river is not enough to carry away the filth from the drains. Tothill Street (see 24) being improved to be a handsome road from Buckingham House to the Abbey.
The extracts in this book were taken from the Town Boy Ledger which was kept by the Senior Town Boy. It was compiled by Lawrence Tanner (G 1905 - 1909) and contains details of the history of Grant's House and notes on events between 1821 -1862. There are notes on sporting events, pupils, rules and the number of pupils within the school. Also included at the end is a list of the Heads of House from 1803-1889.
These lists were created by Lawrence Tanner (G 1905 - 1909) and are a list of pupils at Grant's House in the years 1745-1876.\r\nThe information on the first few pages is taken from Dr Smith's (Head Master) papers, including his cash book, and gives the names of Grantites, the month they entered the House and their age from 1745-1752. The records of 1775 onwards note payments of teachers for private tuition and boarding house usher. \r\n\r\nOther notes are copied from Lord John Russell's (G 1803 - c.1809) School Lists from October 1803 published in G.F.R. Barker's 'Index of Additional Names 1789-1805'. They list the names of boys within Grant's House and their form.\r\n\r\nThere is also a list of Grant's boys taken from school registers beginning in 1815. From 1876 the list was compiled from Dr Rutherford's (Head Master) 'Entrance Book'. It lists the names of the boys and the date at which they entered Grant's House. Some notes give the ages of the boys, which form they were in, when they left and indicate if they were day pupils or boarders.